August 19, 2008

Gillian says "Hey look Mom it's Dorie"


P8160024, originally uploaded by audreyovercast.

A little late posting, but I just found the time to get all the pictures uploaded. The family all headed down to Waikiki to the aquarium to spend part of our four day weekend (Hawaii Statehood day). To begin with Richard asked me a faster way to get down there than to drive all the way through Waikiki. So smart me looks up the directions on the aquarium's website (we don't spend much time in Waikiki..I can count on one hand seriously). Of course the street we needed to turn right on had no street sign, so Richard and I of course get into a blow out arguement on who's fault it was that we got lost. After back tracking we easily found where we needed to be, but the next challenge was to find a parking spot. After searching for 20 minutes we finally found one and walked over to the aquarium.

The first thing we did was watch the seal show, which I have to admit are some of my favorite animals. We then walked past the gift shop where the girls used one of those machines that flatten pennies and imprints them with a logo. Gillian made a seahorse, and Brenna despite my insistance of a sea turtle made Nemo. I'm going to figure out a clever way to use them in a scrapbook whenever I actually learn how ha ha.

The aquarium was bigger than it appeared on the outside and had a lot of reef fish which made Brenna happy. They did have a Tiger Shark and another small breed of shark among another 5 types of fish in the supposed "shark tank". I think the jellyfish were my favorite and the eels Richards. They looked like snakes that had been painted like a rainbow. I unfortunately didn't get a picture of the eels though because I was frustrated with my camera not taking clear enough shots at that point.

We had a good day. It was another weekend spent well with the dreaded deployment looming over our heads. Can you believe he has to pack his toughbox and ship it out this week already?

P8160011

Richard and the girls in front of Diamondhead (the wind was awful right at that moment). We are planning on hiking up it in the upcoming weeks.

P8160016

The girls standing on a mosiac in the aquarium's entryway. Brenna always looks so happy to be with us.

P8160039

I hate having my picture taken, but my mom keeps insisting I'll regret it when I'm older if I don't.

P8160034

These are moon jellies. By far my favorite tank in the place. Can you believe that they have no brain making their bodies function. They are just one giant nervous system floating around by the ocean's tides.

P8160040

My second favorite display was at the very end of our tour. It was a coral garden. The colors were amazing in person...very irridescent.

P8160042

And a closer look. I kept telling Richard that the green and black spotted piece of coral was the prettiest thing I'd seen. It shimmered in the sun and was just absolutely beautiful in person. Guess what it was??? Not a piece of coral. It's a GIANT CLAM!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment