November 4, 2008

Politics and Religion

The two things that you shouldn't discuss with friends if you really want to be sure you'll stay friends with that person. A friend and I had this conversation the other day, but we left it at that. Just the simple fact that it's not really a couple of topics that need to be out there on the table. People get butt hurt too easily, or make snide remarks that don't need to be said. I bet the majority of the people that I'm friends with would have a ton of issues with my beliefs, tis why I keep them to myself!
No one with the exception of my husband knows where I stand on all of the issues and it's good that he has about 95% of the same beliefs. I feel bad sometimes because I feel as if I corrupted him in small ways here and there, but I have to look at it as that I opened his eyes into becoming a man that can think for himself.
Ignorance is not bliss. I am proud of the parents that we have become. Gillian did a mock election at school last week. She came home and we asked her who she voted for. The response that soon came out of her mouth was a bit of a surprise to us, because we hadn't talked about that particular candidate much in our home. With that said we didn't chastise her, or question her decision. It was her choice to make, not ours. One day she will be old enough to vote in elections just like this one and I can only hope that she votes for her beliefs and not ours.
There are so many people in this society that can't break past their mother's apron strings and develop a complete rational thought on their own. Put aside what your church is telling you, what your family is telling you, what the media is telling you. Sit down on your own and write out the issues that are important to you, and rank them in importance. Then do a little research on your own and make an informed decision. A decision that has no spin on it. With that being said, neither of the candidates are perfect for me. Neither one of them are perfect for you either most likely. But I do know what direction I don't want the country going; therefore, a person has to chose one.
Our country is at war and it's economy is in the toilet, but I still hear every day people voting strictly because of how they feel about abortion. Broaden your horizons a little. If you turn your back on all the issues with the exception of one, then how do you know exactly what you are signing off on?
Off my soapbox now. I just woke up a little preterbed this morning.

2 comments:

  1. good blog audrey.....

    I made my decision a LONG time ago. It had to do with my stance on social issues and health policies.....

    I'll just say it. I'm a democrat. However I'll vote for anyone I feel will represent ME best. I haven't come across a GOP candidate that does that though.

    It's hard to talk religion and politics with friends. One of my very best friends has completely opposite views than I do. I still love and respect her. I just don't agree with her on those issues and we know neither of us will change our deep rooted ideals.

    I also have come across many people lately basically telling me I am an idiot for voting how I did because my husband is military. I just smile and say "okay!"

    Anyway......whew....long comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. after reading your comment to me I think we have a lot more in common than we know.

    raised roman catholic and I haven't been to church in a LONG time. I'm conservative with my money, but pretty liberal with everything else....haha...wait that sounds kind of bad huh?

    Anyway I get tired of people saying that if a Christian isn't in the white house we aren't going in the right direction......that irritates me. There are plenty of people with differing religions in our country that would be able run it well. I never ever vote based on religion and I think it's one of the main reasons I'm not part of the GOP.

    My hubby voted Obama too. He's just tired of the same old politics....we needed this change. I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete