March 8, 2009

Meow



Yesterday was Gillian's school carnival. She hadn't expressed much interest in it until I started questioning her about it. She told me she didn't have time to go to it because her teacher was having a hair painting booth at the same time and that she needed to go get her hair painted. Too bad the kid didn't see the correlation between carnival and hair painting booth. Once I broke her the news that the hair painting booth was at the carnival I got asked every five mintues how long until we could go.

I got tired of hanging around the house and having them ask me questions so I decided maybe if we left and strolled around aimlessly somewhere then the time would go by faster for all parties involved. So where does a person go to waste time you ask? Target of course! It's just too bad that once we got there that whole section of Kapolei had lost power and they were running on back up generators. Shopping in a dark store with two whiney kids = no fun. We made that last as long as the kids and I could possibly stand it and then hit up Starbucks on the way to the carnival. And let me just say that I find it a good thing that they are starting to sell things like bananas to grab and snack on along with their other fattening pasteries. Makes making the right eating decisions easier when you have a banana sitting next to ooey gooey blueberry coffee cake.

So off to the carnival we go, oh and did I forget to mention that it freaking rained all day? Ya, not so sure why that didn't make much of a connection in my brain. We totally didn't dress properly to go stand in a wet muddy field during a Hawaiian barely there rain storm. Gillian had her platforms on and that's all I'm going to say about that. Oh and my new cute sandals are all grossed out now. Blah, whatever.

So like a good mommy who is totally over compensating in every way possibly because their daddy is 5000 miles away I gritted my teeth and bared through it. I bought them 40 tickets a piece and told them when the tickets were gone we would leave. Luckily the food booths and everything took tickets too so we honestly didn't have to do much to rid ourselves of the 80 tickets, except I didn't give much thought of how long it would take to get through a line. Only so many kids can get in a bouncer at one time, so you have to wait several minutes in that line to get a whole minute of jumping time in. It also didn't help that they only had four ladies in the face painting booth. Not a very smart move made by PTO or whoever set that shindig up. I'd say it was taking them an average of 8 minutes to paint on childs face. And of course every child there, with their miserable wet parents, under the age of 8 wanted their face painted.

We got through it though and the girls had a blast. Their joy at this point is the only thing that matters to me even though my Roxy jeans were soaked and muddy up to the mid point in my calf and I had loose pieces of wet grass sticking to my toes. They were so exhausted by the end of the night. As I was tucking Brenna in and saying my goodnights, I didn't have to warn her too many times to not get out of bed to get toys. I shut her light out and turned to go into Gillian's room to shut the blinds for her and to my surprise she was konked out already. I hadn't even noticed until I got no response when I asked if she wanted her fan on or off. It's just a shame that they didn't sleep in any longer than they normally do!

No comments:

Post a Comment