March 31, 2011

Yummy Dinner - Grilled Bruschetta Chicken

We have usually eaten pretty well in our house, well that is when I cook. Which I've gotten better about it and we don't eat out that often anymore at all. Every weeknight I'm guaranteed to cook and maybe once on the weekend we eat out. With all this actual cooking I'm trying to divise a better system to meal planning and making grocery lists. And of course in the midst of that, because it wasn't enough work, I decided I wasn't actually cooking as healthy as I could be cooking. So, ignore the statement about my organizational skills because this has nothing to do with that. I was searching blogs and websites and magazines for healthy dinner recipes that didn't take fifty million years to cook with fifty million ingredients that would make my grocery bill fifty million dollars. And you know what I found? So called "healthy" recipes that still call for all-purpose flour, butter, bacon, cheese, sugar, etc. I'm slightly disgusted that our society coins these ingredients as healthy which leads the majority of our nation believing that they are eating better and being healthy when they truly are not. I will step off my soap box because I love me a big ol' biscuit with tons of butter and honey, but I'm not disillusioned to think that I'm eating healthy because I've concocted it to be less than 200 calories. Again, off my soapbox.

A few weeks ago I pinned a recipe on pinterest that was bruschetta chicken. I was too lazy to go back to pinterest today to get the recipe, but spent painstaking minutes trying to find a recipe similar (See my delima with life? I'm lazy and make things harder on myself than need be. As Richard tells me all the time, work smarter Audrey, not harder.). What I ended up writing down had nothing to do with the orginal recipe I saved, so I winged it and what I came up with Gillian said I could call a keeper.

Ingeredients:

1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 T basil chopped
minced garlic. I think 2 cloves. I dunno, I never measure garlic.
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 T olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste.

I pulled out my grill pan and glazed it with a half the olive oil and preheated it. S&P the chicken to taste. Once pan is heated toss the chicken on and cook until done.
In the meantime, cut and seed tomato. Dice tomato. Roll and chop basil. Add basil and garlic (mince if need be, but I used my nifty fav of all time squeeze garlic). Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and S&P. Mix together. When the chicken is done, remove from heat and dust with grated parm. Serve smothered in the tomato mixture.

Not sure of the calorie count, but it's got to be pretty low considering the recipe I tweaked was around 180 per serving and it included flour, butter, egg substitute and bread crumbs. I served it with roasted petite red potatoes that I halved, brushed in EVOO, S&P and threw in the oven for 30 minutes. I actually had my dinner for leftovers because of a meeting I had to run out the door for and it was just as amazing. I need to be sure to keep this for a regular rotation. Sorry for the lack of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment