March 30, 2011

Lorelei of the Sea

P3301019
When I was in high school I had an Eagle Eye Cherry cd, and on it was a song called "When Mermaids Cry".  It was about a mermaid named Lorelei. Ever since I've had a secret obsession with mermaids and went as far as wanting to name Gillian, Lorelei. Richard veto'd and I've never tried to name one of the girls that since (and the reason being I have a nice "theme" going...and every child he's veto'd my top choice saying I'm trying to name an 80 year old woman), but I still have a secret love of mermaids and the name Lorelei. Did I mention the first baby item I purchased for Gillian was a blanket from Gymboree that is covered in mermaids?? And she still sleeps with it.

A few months ago I started a mixed media painting. I wasn't sure what direction I was going with it until I had a few of the pieces just click into my mind that they looked like the intricate detailing that could belong on a mermaid's tail. Once I formed Lorelei, I put her away and have either been too busy or no creative juice flowing to play with her. That is until this week happened upon us. It was supposed to rain all week and I haven't been feeling the greatest. I've only left the house by choice once, and that's because we had no food. So here she is.



I wish my camera took better pictures so that you can see the detail the way I see. Guess if I'm going to keep painting I'll have to employ Megan to take pictures for me.

P3301021

I say she's done, but that probably isn't a whole truth. I said she was done yesterday and I've gone back in and added a ton more detail. Gillian asked me yesterday afternoon where her belly button was. I responded by asking her if mermaids had belly buttons. Since this is going in her room, I obliged and gave Lorelei a belly button. I'm also thinking I may want to go in and throw an antiquing glaze over her to add interest. That would require me getting dressed and leaving the house though, and that interests me right now as much as watching paint dry.

6 comments:

  1. I already told you I love it but I'll say it again! SO pretty and I heart me some mermaids too :) I'll take pictures for you if you pay me in art. You can start with a creepy no eye aquarious baby :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, deal. Next up, creep no eye Aquarius baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful your so talented Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fabulous! Great job Audrey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I didn't realize I was signed in under my husband. This is Kelsey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, thanks Kelsey! Yes, for a split second I was mentally scratching my head :P

    ReplyDelete