September 6, 2009

DIY Tissue Paper Flowers



I've had friend after friend after friend ask me about the tissue paper flowers I made and hung up in my oldest daughter's room. I said that one day I would make a tutorial showing them how easy (and cheap) they are to make, and that day has FINALLY come!

To begin with these are the supplies you are going to need.

P9060022

12 sheets any color tissue paper that you want to work with
floral wire
a good sharp pair of scissors
ruler (optional)

Step One

Lay out 12 pieces of your tissue paper flat on top of each other lined up as good as you can. (From what I have noticed a package typically contains 8 pieces, so 3 packages will make 2 flowers for you.) Once you have these lined up you need to measure with your ruler and make a crease on one end about 1 and 1/2 inches in. A rough way to guesstimate this is half the width of the pre-folded crease from the packaged tissue paper. Continue folding the tissue paper accordion style to the opposite end.

P9060027
P9060030

Step Two

This is where the "sharp" pair of scissors comes in hand. You may just want to take a few folds at a time if you don't have a sharp pair of scissors and cut each end into a point like such.

P9060032

It doesn't have to be perfect. Believe me, I am a self proclaimed perfectionist when it comes to this kind of thing typically. But, with this project the petals will end up blending in together well. This was most time consuming part for myself, because I have crappy scissors! If you want to add a different texture in your mass of flowers, you can round off the ends instead of making them into points.

Step Three


Find the mid-point of the length of your tissue paper. Take your floral wire and wrap it around it making it nice and secure. Leave the ends a bit longer and if you plan on hanging like the original picture, make a loop with the remaining length.

P9060034

Step Four

Spread out the layers of your fan without flattening the creases.

P9060035

Begin peeling back the layers one by one on both sides of the fan. When you get a few layers through, it'll start to look like this.

P9060037

One you are all through, fix any holes and flat spots. It should end up looking like this.

P9060038

When you hang them from the ceiling, you will need a few small eyelet hooks and some fishing line (or clear jewelry string). This is why I said to leave a bit of length on the floral wire and create a loop. Cut the fishing ling to the desired length. Tie a loop on one end to go through the hook. Tie a knot in the other end once it's looped through the floral wire.

This is a really cheap project and adds three deminsional value to any space. Each package of tissue paper cost me seventy five cents and the whole package of floral wire cost one dollar.

Happy Creating!

~Audrey~

3 comments:

  1. Love it!! I can't wait to see what else you post girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOVVVVEEEE this!!! I want to make some for my room! Dennis might kill me though...he's anti-girly stuff. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, just use white. They don't have to be flowers unless that's how you view them ;)

    ReplyDelete